The Lizard Lighthouse, on Lizard Point in Cornwall, United Kingdom, was built in 1619, but the inability to collect dues from passing ships forced its closure in 1623. In 1762, Trinity House built a two-tower, coal-fired station, which it leased for 61 years to a Thomas Fonnerau. The coal fires were replaced by Argand oil lights in 1812, and they in turn replaced in 1878 by generator-powered electricity.
In 1903, the two tower system was stopped, and a single flashing light used. This has a white flash every 3 seconds and a range of 25 miles. The fog horn gives 2 blasts every 60 second