Umpqua River Lens
Construction on the Umpqua River Lighthouse began in 1890, after the original 1857 tower fell into the sea during a winter storm. This sentinel stands at the entrance of Winchester Bay and at the mouth of the Umpqua River. A sister to the Heceta Head Lighthouse, a few miles north, its signature flash casting its light some twenty miles out into the sea. Three years after construction began, the new lighthouse standing 165, above sea level was completed. On December 31, 1894, the First Order Fresnel lens manufactured by Barbier and Cie Paris was lit! In the 1960's, the light was automated. The chariot wheel that rotated the beacon became worn with age, prompting the United States Coast Guard to consider replacing the First Order Lens with a modern optic. People from the surrounding communities gathered thousands of signatures in protest. In 1985, the United States Coast Guard relented and the chariot wheels were rebuilt! In this, the 21st century, the First Order Fresnel Lens shines brightly.
Lights up with 3 "AAA" batteries or your purchased 4.5v adapter, item# 13899.
Harbour Lights Collectible Replica in a Limited Edition of 1,200 pieces.