The old lighthouse of Amsterdam called: ‘IJdoorn’, or ‘Hoek van het IJ’. From 1700 to the end of the 19 th century it was a stone structure, but this one is made of iron in the fashion of the industrial revolution. It stands on a small island, overlooking a polder near Durgerdam. The polder is a nature reserve where a lot of birds can be seen.
The Durgerdam lighthouse was built around 1880. The original lighthouse from 1700 was a brick structure. The official name is IJdoorn Lighthouse, or Hoek van het IJ.
In the background one of the icebreakers, which must keep the shippingroute open, is visible.